Tuesday, June 29, 2010

...And I'm out of gil again

That's not hyperbole. Tonight I signed off with a grand total of zero gil. I'm just that talented.

This seems to be how all of my gil-making schemes go. Get a great idea for making tons of gil without the headache of abusive 4 to 6 hour farming sessions just to pull in a pittance. Great idea requires some investment capital to get it under way. I throw all my gil at the startup investment.

???

Profit?

My current gil-making scheme involves gardening.

There is surprisingly little reliable information about it, given just how well documented the entire rest of the game is. Hell, there are still people who swear by the 'run around your mog 3 times on a quarter moon during water's day between 12:00 and 14:00 if you want X result instead of Y' kind of mumo-jumbo. It seems the FFXI community has managed to breed that superstition out of crafters, but since gardeners are a secretive bunch they've been left to develop on their own.

I might be speaking from ignorance here, but from my limited experience all this day, moon cycle stuff is total superstition. Nothing more and nothing less. It didn't affect drop rates or crafting results, I see no reason why it would affect gardening.

You know what I do believe in?
Pots, Crystals, Seeds and the almighty Random Number Generator gods. Anything else is players experiencing a coincidence and subsequently convincing themselves of a correlation that doesn't exist. SE adores their RNGs in all other aspects of the game (drop rates, hit rate and crafting success capping at less than 100%), why should gardening be any different.

Sort of got off track there, sorry. It's just really frustrating to deal with a bunch of superstitious nonsense thrown in with the lack of documentation when trying to research something.

Now where was I? Ah yes, I have no gil. I have no gil because I threw all of it into purchasing new flowerpots.

This had damn well better work.



2 comments:

  1. This is the story of my life too :P I do need to upgrade my gear, but I never have the funds to purchase it. So I tend to spend oodles of time farming silk threads, honey and beehive chips. I have been thinking about gardening, but I tend to forget about them, so I don't think it's right for me.

    And why are you sleeping in the sand? Is it cushy? *pokes you with a stick*

    Keep us posted on your new gil-making scheme! I hope it works out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gardening's pretty easy for me since I wake up in my moghouse every morning after a night of drunken revelry and the pots are nearby.

    After a disagreement with some pugils and goblins, I thought it was a good time for a nap.

    ReplyDelete