Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I Am Building a House of Fish

I have no idea how this happened.

The last time I tried fishing was last Summer back when I first joined the game and was looking for a way to make gil. Back then it was frustrating as hell. I hated it. Rods breaking constantly, lines snapping, running out of bait without catching anything. It was utterly unappealing.

But for some reason I picked it up again and it has taken hold of me by the teeth and dragged me into its lair. I can only assume a club over the head and an unpleasant night are in store for me, but for now it's not so bad.

Something tells me it's the fact that this time around I started with a Halcyon Rod, which tends to not break on everything with gills or oxidation on it. The other thing that's made this bearable is that I recently made my first mule, so I now have somewhere to put this mountain of fish.

Even with all that going for me, it still doesn't make sense to me why I got drawn back in. The gil so far hasn't been worthwhile, as farming and gardening still pay better and more consistently. It's like some bizarro craft where the crystal and synthesis requirements are all warped and inverted. Instead of melting everything down into profitable slag, I'm forever expanding my inventory with NPC fodder.

There's this fantastic myth that's been perpetuated for years that Moat Carp are some sort of awesome reliable income for new players. I'm calling bullshit on that right now. The Auction House has been flooded with Moat Carp and we haven't seen a sale in days. At the rate any new fisherman can land them, the supply quickly outstrips the demand leaving many high and dry. You're better off spending your time farming something like beehive chips that rush out the door as soon as they hit the AH, never lingering more than a day unless you've been trying to jack up the price.

So fishing hasn't exactly been a gold mine. In fact I dare say I've sunk more money into it than I've made back at this point and if I keep losing lures that may not even change.

It makes no sense, but I completely and totally enjoy it.

Seriously.

You think I'm joking, but I've done nothing in the last two days except fish. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if I hit the 200 fish per day limit tonight with all the fishing I did. It's nuts!

Now I have a mountain of fish sitting on a mule that is going to take forever to sell. Or I might just go with my friend's suggestion and start making workbenches out of the fish.





I'm rather fond of my mule. Major bonus points for those of you who got the reference without looking it up.

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy fishing too; I just haven't found the time or inventory space for it as of late O.o (yes, I did run out of space already... *sigh*)

    One of these days, I'll devote myself to fishing up Moat Carp so that I can get Lu Shang's. It shall be mine! Mark my words! *shakes fist*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try putting the Moat Carp up on the San d'Oria AH.

    They might sell for more there being that the Lu Shang's Rod quest is in Port San d'Oria.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's actually a fantastic idea, which I need to investigate right now...
    *runs off to San d'Oria*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, fishing used to be tons more awesome when all you had to do was push "enter" and you'd have a random (but usually in your favor) chance of catching a fish. So, you could be -like- reading a book while fishing. (xD)

    Then people made those stupid fish bots, and Squenix had to put in the fish fighting. But that's ok, 'cause, fishing is -like- YEAH, MAN!! (xD)

    As a reply to your comment on my blog (whee!!), my Lu Shang endeavor was over the span of... of... yeah, I actually have to think about this. But I got those 4,000 with the help of a couple of friends a long time ago... friends who no longer play, too. :( Over half of those fish were from them, maybe even 2/3 of them! But it's something I definitely didn't dedicate myself to. I think there was a 2-3 year span I just simply didn't bother. Not even the random, "ok, I'll use this much gil to buy moat carp".

    It's not easy, and it's a ton of work (or a ton of gil). In the end, though, it's worth getting if you're a serious fisher. I think some of those higher-leveled fish practically require you have a Lu Shang's, what with how merciless they can be with other fishing rods. Not to mention, if you're gonna go after the Ebisu Fishing Rod, then it makes fishing the target fish easier.

    But that's what I read. I really don't know because I really haven't been doing any fishing whatsoever other than with a bowl and scoop. (xD) Maybe I'll play around with my Lu Shang's after the Summerbreeze Festival ends. (xD)

    ReplyDelete