Saturday, February 6, 2010

Tarutaru plan for world domination

I think I've figured out why this game is able to keep drawing me in.
It's the wonderfully entertaining and immersive world history. I'm completely serious, there's something about this world that feels entirely genuine in a way that very few games have been able to do. While I can't quite tell what exactly it is that makes this world so compelling, it has done a damn fine job of it. The number of games I've played over the years that have been able to pull this off can probably be counted on one hand. FFXI is a slightly different flavor, but it's still up there.

Last night I went exploring and learned a lot about Vanadiel while completing the quest to get the map for Crawler's Nest. For instance: did you know that long ago the Tarutaru were planning to use their magic to conquer the world? Yeah, all those sweet innocent little faces are hiding a secret desire to enslave the world. I knew there was a reason I didn't trust them.

It was a lot of fun having an excuse to go exploring all night long. I actually ended up running into my friend right as he was logging in for the night. Turns out he needed to do the quest as well, so rather than leave him hanging we went back and got him all of the monuments I had done the night before. We pretty much spent the entire night running all over the world, on foot, on chocobo or simply having me teleport us around. Some of the scenery was truly spectacular, and I was glad to have someone to share it with.
All told the quest took five hours from start to finish and it probably would have taken even longer if we hadn't been helping each other out.


Adventure:


From Mediocre Mage

Our journey took us to the familiar shores of Gustaberg.


From Mediocre Mage
We spent a lot of time running through the Dunes back to Selbina to get more clay. Why the mayor couldn't just give us a bunch to start with I don't know.


From Mediocre Mage
Mohan contemplates erasing the evidence of the Tarutaru plan for world domination.

From Mediocre Mage

After finding the last monument we decided to celebrate with some fireworks before collapsing in our moghouses after a long night of exploration and adventure.

1 comment: