Monday, May 10, 2010

A case of the wrong key

It's been an interesting weekend. One with lots of indulgences to be sure.

After an exp party earlier this week I hit level 54. Now I'm sure all the Red Mages in the audience(and probably a few others) know what this means.

That's right, it's off to Eldieme Necropolis to hunt down some really stylish gloves!

Since I haven't found myself a new linkshell since the server merge my options for descending into this nest of undead are limited to:
  1. Shouting for hours to get someone to help
  2. Busting out my sword and shield for some soloing action
Yeah, I think it's pretty clear which route I took.

After checking some maps to see where some treasure coffers might appear I grabbed the Eldieme Necropolis key I've had sitting in my moghouse for months and headed to Batalia Downs. Once I got to the Necropolis I spent most of my time running in circles watching a whole bunch of coffers not appear.

To help kill time and prevent a psychotic breakdown I took out my frustration on the nearby wildlife, specifically Tomb Wolves. It was around this point that I began to realize this was a good place to solo, coffers or no. I figured the coffers weren't going anywhere so I took some time off to head back to Jeuno.

In Jeuno I took the time to update my equipment to something a bit more level appropriate. A new sword, some spells here and there, and some new archery equipment. Shush, the archery is an ongoing hobby because I cherish my delusional fantasies of shooting Maat in the face with a Sleep Arrow one day.

Armed to the teeth and ready to settle in for the long haul, I spent most of the weekend dungeon crawling. It was an exciting experience at times. Being able to go toe-to-toe with a tough opponent and come out on top is pretty rewarding, even without all those skillups.

Tonight I was rewarded for my efforts. As the evening was winding down and I was getting ready to sign off for the night, I found one. There it was, sitting behind the stone pillar. I hadn't even noticed it before engaging a nearby Bomb. The darn thing had just blended in. I was suddenly worried. Would it vanish before I defeated the Bomb? I ended up nuking a tad recklessly but it paid off, the coffer was still there as the monster hit the floor.

Quickly I clicked to open it, only to have it tell me I need a key to open it. Oh I suppose that would make sense. I'll just select it from my inventory and target the coffer with it. Huh, that's weird. Why isn't it working?

*examines key*

"Eldieme Chest Key"

Noooooooo!

Turns out I had the wrong key the whole time.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go beat my head against a wall until I fall unconcious.



I'll be back with a Coffer Key next time you miserable heap of wood and iron.

2 comments:

  1. Bah, I've read through all your rapscallionry now. Internet should be in within a week, I'll just unload a thick pile of updates and be back in.
    Toss me an assist on getting the Samurai class, if you'd be so kind.

    ReplyDelete