Friday, May 28, 2010

Red Mage Gloves! Part Deux

Last weekend consisted of more dungeon crawling in the Necropolis, surprise surprise. After the previous fiasco it was a half-hearted effort at best. For a while I simply wandered around aimlessly killing the same mobs I had before. Knowing that the monsters I really needed to take down were a much greater challenge I was content to just aquire some skill-ups at the beginning of my quest.

However, as one might expect, killing the same set of undead hounds over and over for hours on end eventually begins to lose its charm. Also the skill-ups were becoming less frequent. Well, why not have a go at those big bad Spriggans I thought to myself. Surely they can't be that bad. Oh yes, yes they can be. I haven't been knocked around like that since I tangled with the Exorays way back when. I'd say it took about 10 hits to take me down, and I only lasted that long because of Blink and Stoneskin. I tried to use Chainspell to warp myself out in time, but I wasn't quick enough to pull it off. Another classic dirtnap for the intrepid adventurer.

A few more attempts didn't really improve my situation any. There wasn't much point to continuing to try going toe-to-toe with these undead monstrosities. I wasn't even able to stay alive long enough to raise my skills all that much. Better to scale it back a bit and maybe return later. So it was off to battle more undead. Deciding to step it up a notch I went after some of the ghosts haunting the Necropolis. Man, it's been too long since I've practiced keeping things silenced. Spell casting undead can really rough you up if you let them. I'll be honest though, getting punched in the face by a ghost was only marginally better.

So I fell back into the routine of wandering through the halls of the dead city and ridding it of the lesser undead. This time however I was not alone. There were other adventurers passing through, a few of them on a quest I myself had undertaken not too long ago. A young Paladin had a friend helping him defeat Liches for that crotchety old man in Jeuno. We passed each other a few times in the halls before the veteran adventurer spoke up and inquired as to what brought me here. I told him, and he confirmed my suspicions about what he and his friend were here for. We agreed to help each other that night. I would help slay some Liches and he would in turn help me take down some Spriggans so that I might find a key to unlock the coffer containing my gloves.

Clearing out the Liches didn't take too long, and neither did making our way into the basement and defeating some additional undead for a key. Glancing around the vetern, Kenzaki, spied a coffer. We raced over to it and he held off a swarm of undead while I hastily unlocked the old box. With the gloves safely stored in my bag, I rejoined the fight. Once the room was cleared we all departed back to Jeuno.

The duo were planning to head to Crawler's Nest next. Having been there before I decided to tag along and help out a bit longer. The trip was rather uneventful. We got in, found a hidey hole full of Exorays and one by one beat them into a fine paste until one finally surrendered some mold. I swear, Maat sends level 50 adventurers off to get him smoking supplies. Mold, ash, paper? He's clearly rolling something heavy.

After that it was time to wind down for the evening and we all went our separate ways. All in all not a bad evening, but I still can't shake the feeling that something was lost along the way. The thrill of adventure always seems to diminish for me when a seasoned veteran tags along to utterly decimate everything. It trivializes the experience. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the assistance, but it makes the victory bitterweet. Ah well, I still have to fight a Notorious Monster before I can fully restore the gloves so there's always more chance for adventure in that regard.






Huzzah! Gloves!

2 comments:

  1. I have found, over the years of adventuring, that having a seasoned veteran along for the ride doesn't necessarily diminish the sense of victory, so long as the person isn't an arse about it.

    If they're nice and kind, humble and respectful then you've lucked out and found a veteran of great quality.

    If all they do is brag about what they've done and what you're doing wrong, then... well... that would diminish the experience greatly.

    Good luck with Dark Spark!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RDM has brought me lots of joy, fun and achievement. I hope you do well in your endeavors as this wonderful job. Good luck. :)

    ReplyDelete