Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Front line melee...

I just got out of a party and I'm damn near frothing at the mouth with rage.

Let me back up a minute before I injure myself with all this concentrated hatred.

Last week my friend and I were working on unlocking Samurai and we damn near had it but had to logout before the NPC finished smithing our swords. Figuring it'd be a fun class to tag team with my friend I decided to get off my ass and level a subjob for it, namely Warrior. This is all part of my back-burner plan to level Dragoon some day.

After bouncing past the Dunes levels I spent some time skilling up in the Dunes(oh irony, you slay me). After some time with my flag up I get a party invite to the oddest of places. Rolanberry Fields in the past. Well I haven't been there before so I venture out and it takes freaking forever without chocobos or teleporty goodness or even maps. After burning through a full stack of powders and oils getting to camp I find the party. The setup makes more sense once I learn there's someone Power Leveling the party, but that's irrelevant.

The point being that this was my first party as a Damage Dealer(DD).

After two hours...I have complete and utter contempt for all DDs. It's the fucking lazy man's job, no two ways about it. The difference between playing a front line melee and playing a mage job is like night and day.

The DD does this:
  1. Hit things with pointed sticks
  2. Use one, maybe two Job Abilities
  3. Execute a Weaponskill
  4. Repeat
I swear to god, that's all that's required of them and they get a pat on the head and a cookie.

Whereas on Red Mage I get to take care of all this and more:
  • Keep everyone alive
  • Cure status ailments
  • Dispel enemy buffs
  • Keep folks Refreshed
  • Keep folks Hasted
  • Apply Enfeebling magic
  • Renew Enfeebling magic
  • Sleep links
  • Try not to draw hate
  • Nuke
  • Manage MP while accomplishing all of the above
This is absolutely bananas!

For the entire party on Warrior I was able to play with a PS2 controller in hand.

I can't get away with that on Red Mage. No, on Red Mage I'm hammering macros so frantically I need the keyboard just to jump through 5 macro pages in a timely manner. Don't even get me started on how I have to take in the scope of the battle and give the party the kick in the ass it needs when it comes time to retreat; Setting down the controller and picking up the keyboard to type a message takes way too damn long.

This...this just makes me angry. I don't have the proper words to convey it, just a boiling sensation of rage that the majority of the party workload is getting dumped on the mage. I suspect whatever's left is given to the tank, because the role of Damage Dealer requires no accountability whatsoever.





This...


...turns into this mess.


Shooting bunnies with axes.

12 comments:

  1. Level it to 80 before you pass judgement. EveryJob is complex. I been in Parties where the RDM does nothing but refresh himself and a cast 1 Cure every 4 minutes. Bad skilled players will remain lazy even when at lvl 80, no matter what job. In Groups Mages and Tanks normaly get more stuff to do because they are few the group versus multiple melee jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Level-80 Drk I...

    *Melee and Kill Mobs
    *Emergency Tank/Temp Tank
    *Stun -Agas, AOE's, save Tanks, save dumb Melee, ease mob overall Damage Mitigation
    *Create SC for Blms to MB
    *Keep myself alive via DreadSpikes, Draon, Drain2, Aspir, Aspir2, Stun, Weapon Bash
    *Apply Enfeebling magic
    *Renew Enfeebling magic
    *Sleep links
    *Utilize TP, Enfeeb, FastCast, Max Acc, Damage Mitigation, and WeaponSkill Builds to max effeciency.
    *Utilize a Zerg Build and take 30k HP off a Mob in 30 secs
    *Try not to draw hate when uneeded
    *Try to pull hate when needed
    *Manage MP while accomplishing all of the above

    I am sure I am missing a shit-ton off stuff because most I do naturaly or like you think.... I just hit the "X" button.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to evaluate a job type solely based on an exp setting (low level at that). You're being pretty disrespectful to the career DDs who do put effort and do play their DD jobs well. :x

    Also, that is a lot of anger directed at game mechanics. =_=;

    ReplyDelete
  4. The anger you're feeling is actually pretty understandable, especially at the level range you're in. During the low levels, it's very true that the mages have a lot more to do than the DD. If you think about it, the DD classes really don't have anything to work with at that point. Those few abilities are really all they've got, so they're basically forced into "hitting the X button."

    As you level up, you'll notice a shift in responsibility from the mage being the lynch pin to hold everything together to truly being more of a support role. Not saying your role won't be nearly as important, but you will have much more breathing room then.

    Still, it's no secret that the DD jobs have it easier than mages in the early levels. Not due to laziness all the time, but they really don't have much else to do then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2 whole hours and you proclaim DD's are lazy. Wow. If that's not ignorance then I don't know what is. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was a RDM in dunes yesterday and did nothing but stand there because they had a Power Level.
    What a lazy Job. I am /emo mad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, a lot of self-righteous DDs crawled out of the woodwork for this one.

    It's not that the players are lazy, it's that the role itself lends itself to sloth so very well. On Warrior I can easily AFK long enough to look something up on wiki. If I try that on RDM, more than likely I'm looking at a dead party, or at the very least getting chewed out for missing something.

    The role of Damage Dealer is very much not busy.
    The role of Mage is so busy you can't even chat.
    It's really that simple guys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then u suck as a DD.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How can these DD's be self righteous when they have years of experience to call upon versus your 2 hours in the dunes?

    "It's really that simple guys."
    ~CidBahamut

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL even Jacinda is a mage and doesn't agree with Cid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You mean the role of a shitty Damage Dealer is not busy.

    Really, don't put yourself on a pedestal now just because you played a DD job for, holy shit, 2 hours and found it boring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alright, that's enough children.

    The role of Mage was busier than that of a Damage Dealer in the low 20s.

    The role of Mage is busier than that of a Damage Dealer at 55.

    The role of Mage will be busier than that of a Damage Dealer at 75 and beyond.

    I hit a nerve because I've pointed out a very uncomfortable truth. DDs have the easier role.

    Now all you butthurt DDs can come back next week when you have faces and can put together coherent statements beyond "lawl nub".

    P.S. To our second /anon poster, DRK appears to be an exception rather than the rule, but it's damn hard to find a DRK that is willing to use the tools they have been given.

    ReplyDelete