Friday, July 30, 2010

Out of Gil 2: The Quest for more Gobbie Bags

Well it's happened again. I've run out of money.

On the bright side I now have 65 inventory slots, so it was totally worth it.

I guess now would be a good time to review how my last gil-making scheme has been going.

The goal was to get into gardening in order to avoid having to constantly farm every day to cover expenses. So far it has been working out. I found out some seeds can be harvested in just three days, so I was all over that like a cat on catnip. After spending a few months fiddling with growing elemental ores over the course of 3-4 weeks only to have the results be rock salt instead, this was a huge improvement for me. No more month long waits and disappointment, just a small steady stream of crops.

I may as well let you all know what exactly I used, no point in keeping it secret.

The secret formula is this: 1 pot + 1 bag of grain seeds + 1 fire crystal +3 days of waiting = lots of TaruTaru Rice.

Or if the random number generator feels fickle, you'll get a handful of ice crystals or a red rock.

It's not big money, but it's enough to get by on day-to-day expenses.

Funny story though; When I first got into the market, TaruTaru Rice was selling like mad and for 15k per stack. Holy money making agriculture Batman, I thought to myself, this is where I need to be. Well after a few weeks something in the market shifted and the price dropped to 10k. Alright, still reasonably profitable and the 15k was probably just a brief spike in price and this is the market stabilizing itself.

Well maybe not.

See, the price on my server hasn't stopped falling. From what I can tell we have about 7 stacks of rice on the Auction House for every one stack that gets sold. The market is in free-fall. Stacks are going for 4k and still dropping.

It's actually been pretty amazing to watch. At this point I just want to see how far it will fall before everyone bails on it entirely. I'll still be there though, since it hasn't hit the point where selling stacks of seeds is more profitable than growing them yet.

In the meantime, I'm still running low on gil though so it's probably time to go farm something. So much for not having to farm again, huh?





Who is driving these chocobos?

2 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I did any Gardening, but I used to do Grain Seeds as well. I did some Wildgrass seeds (available from an NPC) when people still did Chocobo Raising stuff, but I think that's unlikely to still be profitable at this point.

    You'll have to check one of the Gardening sites, but when I did Grain Seeds I used, I think, Dark Crystals instead of Fire Crystals after a while. From that I got Tarutaru Rice, Coral Fungus (Rice Dumplings ingredient), and Light(?) Crystals. It worked out to be better money overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Decided to take a peek at how much a stack of TaruTaru Rice cost here in Bismarck... around 8k. That certainly ain't chump change by any means.

    Why didn't I think of this sooner!? You have inspired me to search for my green thumb :3

    ReplyDelete