Monday, July 12, 2010

The Notorious Monster Addiction

Hi, I'm Cid and I camp Notorious Monsters even though I know better.

Nothing significant mind you, but there is something very appealing about finding and killing a monster that doesn't show up every five minutes. It's even more appealing when you start adding cool treasure to the equation, althogh I'm not convinced that's the sole appeal of the activity.

In many cases it's an excuse to check out new areas I don't usually pass through.

On some level I suspect it operates on the same principle as gambling. Often even finding the monster in and of itself feels like an accomplishment, and then the drop rates are the same thing all over again. Yes, it can be frustrating, but it can also be really rewarding as long as the drop rate isn't too abusive. Once the drop rate gets too abusive I run the risk of repeating the Rambler's Gaiters incident. Trust me, it isn't pretty.

There are some inherent flaws in the system, but I don't think the drop rates or long respawn times are the big ones. The real problem is that most of the treasure isn't level appropriate. Notorious Monsters are robust enemies that will trounce you if you're not a sufficiently high level. But once you reach that high level, the gear they provide is most likely outdated. This is a problem. In order to take down a NM at the level where you would be using the gear, you need to drag multiple friends out to help you fight the critter. Given how frequently these mobs show up and their atrocious drop rates, this means you either can't have nice things or you have to make your friends miserable in order to get nice things. I know FFXI is all about the teamwork and what-not, but this is just silly.

Despite all this, I've spent a good bit of time camping things. There's just this wonderful sense of satisfaction (or is it vengeance?) that comes from slicing up the monster and finally seeing that shiny trinket fall out of their entrails.

If nothing else it's been something to pass the time while I try to figure out what to do next in game. Also the prospect of having stupid good gear when taking up a second job is very appealing. Oh Dragoon, someday I'll actually level you and it will be awesome.



After 18 kills it's just not worth it when I can buy the belt on the Auction House for cheap.


This one might be worthwhile if I can figure out the timing and placement a little better.


I accidentally killed this one back in the day without realizing it was a Notorious Monster.


You know what else is appealing about camping Notorious Monsters? Being able to do stuff like this while waiting. Nothing like taking on a pack of orcs single-handedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment